Have you made a resolution to eat better and lose weight? Follow our month-long program of daily nutrition tips, created by dietitian Leslie Beck to change your lifestyle for January - and beyond. And to get your fitness on track, try our personal trainer-designed Boot Camp 2012 program .
January 11: Drink a cup of green tea
If you haven’t tried green tea yet, today you will. Drinking green tea regularly has been linked with lower rates of numerous cancers, as well as heart disease. Studies also hint that green tea can prevent arthritis and tooth decay. Green tea leaves are an incredibly rich source of phytochemicals called catechins, which have potent antioxidant properties. In fact, test-tube studies have shown that catechins in tea are more powerful antioxidants than vitamins C and E.
Here are a few ways to add green tea antioxidants to your diet:
- Start your day with a cup of freshly brewed green tea.
- If you drink coffee or diet soft drinks with meals, replace with a cup of green tea.
- For a midday snack, try a green tea latte made with low-fat milk or soy milk.
- Brew green tea in cold water for 20 minutes and use as a liquid in marinades, sauces and gravies.
- Use brewed green tea to sauté or stir-fry vegetables.
Missed earlier days? It's easy to get caught up.
DAY 7: Snack on fruit
DAY 6: Use a smaller plate
DAY 5: Eat more veggies
DAY 4: Practise eating slowly
DAY 3: Boost fibre at breakfast
Want more information related to today's tip? Read on:
Related contentWhy green should be your cup of tea
Related contentA guide to green tea
Lemon iced green tea