Boost your fibre intake at breakfast
Adults aged 19 to 50 need 25 grams (women) and 38 grams (men) of fibre each day. Older women need 21 grams and older men require 30 grams daily. To help you meet your daily fibre target, add one or more of these fibre-rich foods in the morning:
- Choose a breakfast cereal that contains at least 5 grams of fibre per serving.
- Mix ½ cup of 100 per cent bran cereal (12 grams of fibre) with your favourite flake cereal.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, wheat bran or oat bran (each 4 grams of fibre) to oatmeal.
- Be sure to include one whole fruit (not juice) at breakfast.
- If eating toast, buy 100 per cent whole grain bread with at least 2 to 3 grams of fibre per slice.
Leslie Beck, a Toronto-based dietitian at the Medcan Clinic, is on CTV's Canada AM every Wednesday. Her website is lesliebeck.com .