How to make an urban root cellar:
- A modified basement cold room should maintain a winter temperature of 0 to 5 C and humidity levels of about 80 per cent.
- Ventilation is important to prevent mould.
- Eliminating light will stop potatoes from sprouting.
- Store vegetables such as beets, carrots and potatoes layered in sand in a metal garbage can.
- Apples keep best in a crate, onions and garlic can be braided, and cabbages and cauliflowers can be hung by their roots.
Source: The Complete Root Cellar Book by Steve Maxwell and Jennifer MacKenzieReport Typo/Error