She birthed you, she raised you, she asks for nothing in return. No wonder finding Mom a suitable present often feels like a test. Globe Style alleviates the pressure with inventive takes on timeworn Mother’s Day standbys
Instead of a trip to the spa ...
Try these ideas instead
1. What could be more stress-relieving than a gift that (unlike some people she knows) actually takes care of itself?
Self-watering Orchid Pot, $69 at Urban Mode.
2. Juggling multiple totes: vexatious. Corralling everything into one neat Italian-leather carryall: an aesthetic (and organizational) relief.
Clare Vivier Weekender, $525 at Augustina.
3. Light up her life with your undying gratitude – and a clean-burning, summery-scented coconut-wax candle.
Two-Wick Metallo Tin Candle in Laguna, $18 at Indigo.
4. This soothing blue tissue dispenser (a winner of the Japan Good Design Award) has a high-end-spa look.
Tissue pot, $50 at ma zone home decor.
5. A desktop Buddha from French crystaldesign label Baccarat brings clarity, decorative and otherwise.
Crystal Buddha, $720 at Teatro Verde.
6. A fragrant body cream made of shea butter, argan oil and aloe vera is smoothing and soothing.
Moroccanoil Body Soufflé, $52 at select salons and spas across Canada.
7. Nothing says “calm blue ocean” like a turquoise silk scarf with a nautical motif.
Echo silk-twill Rope scarf, $40 at Hudson’s Bay.
8. Nails in tranquil blues and greens are attractively playful at any age.
Essie nail lacquers in In the Cab-ana and Butler Please, $9.99 each at salons and retailers across Canada (visit essie.com for locations).
9. If you’re planning to make her proud sometime soon, help her maintain composure with reliable tearproof mascara.
Maybelline Define-a-Lash Lengthening Waterproof Mascara, $8.99 at drugstores across Canada (visit maybelline.ca for locations).
10. Better than a spa day, a Roman holiday is what this richly scented body cleanser conjures with notes of Italian bergamot, lemon and lavender.
Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Shower Gel, $70 at Holt Renfrew and Sephora.
11. How better to scrutinize your choices than through blue-sky-tinted glasses?
Chanel sunglasses, $430 at Holt Renfrew.
12. A silver peace dove dangling from a beaded bracelet keeps relaxation at hand.
Thomas Sabo Special Addition sterling-silver bracelet with charm, from $329 through thomassabo.com.
13. The idyll on this printed-leather coin purse will perpetually remind her that change is good.
Mary Katrantzou leather pouch, $440 at The Room.
14. This subtle, ikat-printed sleepwear set is well-suited to a life of leisure.
Eberjey Tribal Goddess cami and shorts, $65 at Augustina.
15. Mom meets hammam in this pretty Turkish-cotton towel that absorbs well, folds up small and doubles as a beachwrap.
Gluckstein Home Striped Beach Towel, $29 at Hudson’s Bay.
16. Definitely not a babushka, this wide, knitted head scarf works from book club to the beach.
Missoni Head Band, $125 at Holt Renfrew.
17. Rubber-soled Manolo Blahniks in super-soft suede make splendid slippers.
Manolo Blahnik Driver loafer, $495 at Holt Renfrew.
18. Multitasking mothers require hydrotherapy.
Water carafe with glass, $29 at Pottery Barn.
Instead of a bunch of blooms ...
Try these ideas instead
1. You’ve been known to give her a hard time now and then. Make amends with a soft, cheery pillow.
Studio Pip Birds in Paradise pillow, from $89 at Hudson’s Bay.
2. An assortment of petalhued notebooks will help her keep a tally of all that you owe her.
Notebooks, from $6.50 at Indigo.
3. These bulbs will produce showy dahlias in July (and for summers to come if overwintered indoors).
Farm bulbs, $25 for a package of four at Indigo.
4. This chic bisque diffuser subtly exudes the sweet scent of tuberose.
Grand Casablanca Porcelain Diffuser in Versailles Tuberose, $89.95 at Teatro Verde.
5. Give her a rosecoloured lip gloss for every purse so she’ll never have to remember where she stashed one.
Joe Fresh Beauty Rose Glosses, $6 at Joe Fresh.
6. The cherry-blossom cluster atop this sterling-silver ring reflects the current fascination with all things Japanese.
Cherry Blossom Bouquet ring, $90 at Pandora.
7. Pink peonies are the leading note in this fresh, ultrafeminine fragrance. Oh, Lola!
Marc Jacobs Sunsheer Edition Eau de Parfum, $79 for 50 ml at select drug and department stores.
8. Remind her of your servitude with every sip from a chintz mug by British designer Cath Kidston.
Cut Roses Crush Mug, $15.95 at redLetter.
9. Vintageinspired enamel-glazed baubles are as pretty as the real thing.
Carolee necklace, $50, bracelet, $70, clip earrings, $50 at Hudson’s Bay.
10. Made with rosewater, jojoba oil and cucumber extract, this cooling moisturizer suits every skin type.
Fresh Rose Hydrating Gel Cream, $48 at Sephora.
11. This floral paperweight is a fetching anchor for coupons, clippings and your old class photo.
Glass Rose Paperweight, $14.50 at Indigo.
12. A vintage Liberty print gets a preppy update in this summery buttondown.
Liberty Perfect Shirt in Pepper Floral, $178 at J.Crew.
13. This oversized necklace of bold brass blossoms suits the mom who isn’t a shrinking violet.
Lanvin necklace, $2,260 at The Room.
14. Paper blooms are a festive (and enduring) alternative.
Mexican Crepe Paper Begonia, $10 at West Elm.
15. One-of-a-kind artwork from textile designer Virginia Johnson befits a matchless maman.
Signed, framed original watercolour, $195 at Virginia Johnson.
Instead of a box of chocolates ...
Try these ideas instead
1. A chocolate-brown robe in ultrasoft jersey is delicious to lounge around in.
Skin robe, $170 at Holt Renfrew.
2. Cut from caramelhued dégradé duchess satin, the new Burberry bag is the best sort of arm candy.
Burberry Blaze bag, $1,995 through burberry.com.
3. If the fools and crumbles are all in her head, give her a place to transcribe them.
Recipe box, $19.95 at Teatro Verde.
4. Earn brownie points with a heavy ceramic pan designed to turn out tender bars.
Baked Brownie Pan, $50 at Williams-Sonoma.
5. This looseleaf blend tastes like chocolate-covered orange peel, and a tea-forone mug precludes sharing.
Chocolate orange tea, $6.75 for 100 grams, Glass Paisley Mug with infuser and lid, $19.95 at David’s Tea.
6. If you occasionally drive her to drink, offer an elegant means for taking the edge off.
Impulse martini shaker, $40 through canfloyd.com.
7. Confectionery is made to melt, but these sweet earrings bearing cocoa-coloured citrines will always retain their shape.
Vianna Collection diamond, quartz and citrine earrings, $3,750 at Birks.
8. Treat her to a wristful of chocolate crystals and caramel baguettes.
Alan Anderson Flex black-diamond bracelet, $1,385 at Holt Renfrew.
9. A creamy, high-shine truffletoned lacquer will pamper a busy pair of hands.
YSL La Laque Couture in Taupe Mauresque, $27 at select Hudson’s Bay, Holt Renfrew, Murale and Sephora stores.
10. This citrusy scent is made for the matriarch who is equal parts sweet and tart.
Jo Malone London Bitter Orange & Chocolate Cologne, $70 for 30 ml at Holt Renfrew.
11. A chocolate-striped iPhone cover makes it easy to match cell to purse and shoes.
Tory Burch T Zag Hardshell Case for iPhone 5, $55 at Holt Renfrew.
12. A bite of this salty, milk-chocolate-dipped caramel apple is better than a whole Pot of Gold.
Caramel Nut Apple $6.50 at The Golden Apple Confectionery.
13. This decadent python clutch topped with a studded skull fastener gives new meaning to death by chocolate.
Alexander McQueen clutch, $1,995 at Holt Renfrew.
14. Cocoa beans versus coffee beans? For mamma, macchiato from Nespresso’s new portable machine.
Nespresso U Espresso Maker, $199 through nespresso.com.