British Columbia’s skilled workforce is expected to undergo an invisible shift in coming years as the pool of younger workers becomes smaller than the number of aging workers who have their eye on retirement. In a 10-part series, The Globe and Mail looks at the 10 jobs expected to be in highest demand in B.C. in the next decade. Check back every Monday for the latest instalment.
- Introduction: Skills-training program aims to curtail a coming jobs crisis
- Part One: B.C. will need 25,000 nurses by 2022
- Part Two: More than 16,000 transport truck drivers needed in B.C. by 2022
- Part Three: Data predict 13,000 job openings in carpentry in B.C. over the next decade
- Part Four: Data show B.C. will need 13,450 financial auditors, accountants over the next decade
- Part Five: Stats say B.C. expects 13,600 job openings for cooks now until 2022
- Part Six: Early childhood education has great value but little reward
- Part Seven: With eyes on LNG boom, demand for construction workers in B.C. to rise
- Part Eight: Statistics estimate 7,230 electricians needed over the next decade in B.C.
- Part Nine: Almost 7,000 heavy-equipment operators will be needed in B.C.
- Part 10: B.C. expects LNG industry to boost demand for welders to 3,980 over next decade
In the table below, select an occupation to see more facts. We’ll add details for a new job each week.
10 jobs expected to be in highest demand in B.C. in the next decade
|Job Title||Number of job openings over the next 10 years|
|Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses||24,660|
|Transport truck drivers||16,300|
|Financial auditors and accountants||13,450|
|Early childhood educators and assistants||9,050|
|Construction trades helpers and labourers||8,170|
|Electricians (except industrial and power system)||7,230|
|Heavy equipment operators (except crane)||6,760|
|Welders and related machine operators||3,890|
Areas with greatest needs
What you'll earn
According to census statistics, the provincial average salary is between
The provincial average full-time hourly rate ranges between
Follow us on Twitter: