Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

British Columbia Premier and Liberal Leader Christy Clark gets out of a vehicle as she arrives at the Schaffner family home for a provincial election campaign stop in Vancouver on Sunday May 5, 2013. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)
British Columbia Premier and Liberal Leader Christy Clark gets out of a vehicle as she arrives at the Schaffner family home for a provincial election campaign stop in Vancouver on Sunday May 5, 2013. (Darryl Dyck/The Canadian Press)

Clark denies NDP claim that she’s fear-mongering in election campaign Add to ...

B.C. Liberal Leader Christy Clark has responded to accusations her party is running a fear-based campaign, insisting she is only pointing out stated facts and vague promises within the B.C. NDP’s platform.

Last week, Ms. Clark told crowds at several campaign stops that various long-anticipated capital spending projects, such as an upgrade for the Penticton Regional Hospital, would not happen under an NDP government. The NDP, whose platform states it “will continue with projects that are currently under way,” viewed the statements as an attempt to scare voters away from casting a ballot for the party.

More Related to this Story

Ms. Clark says the wording in the NDP’s platform is unclear and suggests projects on which construction has not yet started will be cancelled.

“They said that they were going to stop funding any project that wasn’t under way so that they could pay down the out-of-control debt that they’re going to be building up,” she said Sunday. “Now they’re saying, basically, ‘We’re not cancelling any projects because we’re considering them all under way.’ In which case, the promise that they made to pay down the out-of-control debt that they’re going to build up isn’t true.

“It’s another example of how the NDP are being deliberately unclear and deliberately misleading people about where they want to take the province.”

NDP Leader Adrian Dix, who has vowed to run a positive campaign, has also called Ms. Clark out for a Chinese radio ad about the NDP’s plan to repurpose the Liberals’ Registered Education Savings Plan. Mr. Dix, who calls the one-time grants of $1,200 for children turning six poorly conceived, would redirect the money into an Early Years Innovation Fund that would finance programs in early learning and childcare.

“The Premier is running an ad on Chinese radio that says I’m taking money from children and giving it to my friends,” Mr. Dix said during the April 29 televised debate.

“That’s what the NDP have said they were going to do,” Ms. Clark said Sunday. “They’ve said that they’re going to take the $1,200 away … we’ve given to parents to put aside for their kids. … They want to take that $1,200 for every child and spend it, today, on their pet projects.”

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories