The British Columbia Coroners Service has called an inquest into Angus Mitchell’s death – it just can’t say when that inquest will be held.
Mr. Mitchell was shot dead by members of the RCMP’s emergency response team last month. He was wanted in connection with the shooting of his former landlord, and was a person of interest in the fatal shootings of two people inside a Burnaby sushi restaurant.
Mr. Mitchell died in a shootout with RCMP in Maple Ridge, shortly after Mounties issued a public warning about him.
RCMP suggested immediately after the shooting that a coroner’s inquest would be held. The Coroners Service confirmed this on Monday.
“The chief coroner has determined that the circumstances of Mr. Mitchell’s death and issues which have been raised in the case can best be explored through the inquest process,” spokeswoman Barbara McLintock wrote in a statement.
The jury in the case will hear evidence from witnesses, but cannot make findings of legal responsibility. It does have the opportunity to make recommendations aimed at preventing similar deaths in the future.
In an interview, Ms. McLintock said the Coroners Service typically aims to have inquests held within one year of a person’s death.
However, she said a date for the inquest has not been set because the coroner is waiting for the Vancouver Police Department to complete its external review of the case.
A Vancouver police spokesperson could not immediately say when the force’s outside investigation would be complete.