Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content


Ex-detective accuses police of ignoring Pickton Add to ...

The Vancouver police could have stopped serial killer Robert Pickton more than two years before he was finally caught if the force had taken the case more seriously and devoted the resources such a massive investigation would require, a public inquiry has heard.

Former detective Kim Rossmo, who was a geographic profiler with the force, said Mr. Pickton wasn’t caught sooner because senior police management resisted the theory that the women were being murdered by a serial killer.

“I think there was a good chance it could have been solved by the end of 1999 if the appropriate resources were deployed and the Vancouver police department was properly engaged in this and had accepted the serial killer theory,” Mr. Rossmo told the inquiry on Wednesday, stressing it was a rough estimate.

“I don’t want to give overemphasis to my estimate of the end of ‘99, but it certainly should have been solved much sooner. ... I believe my evidence from the other day was I think this case could have been solved one to two years earlier than it was.”

Mr. Pickton was arrested in February, 2002, when an RCMP officer in nearby Port Coquitlam obtained an unrelated warrant to search his farm for illegal firearms.

Between late 1999 and his arrest, a dozen more women who were later connected to the farm disappeared.

Mr. Rossmo was among the first officers to suggest in 1998 that a rash of missing person reports involving Downtown Eastside prostitutes could be related to a serial killer.

The next spring, he produced a statistical analysis that concluded the women were almost certainly the victims of a single killer.

But he said he faced immediate resistance from Inspector Fred Biddlecombe, who was in charge of the force’s major crime unit. Mr. Rossmo testified that the inspector didn’t believe the women were killed and thought they would surface on their own given enough time.

Mr. Rossmo said that meant the force didn’t take the case seriously and didn’t devote the resources needed for a complicated serial murder investigation.

Mr. Rossmo said Inspector Biddlecombe appeared honestly to believe there was no serial killer, and he stressed his complaint isn’t that the inspector was wrong.

Rather, Mr. Rossmo said there were no options to challenge Inspector Biddlecombe’s opinion, partly because the inspector himself was antagonistic and partly because of the force’s strict adherence to the chain of command, which made it impossible to go above Inspector Biddlecombe’s head.

Mr. Rossmo said the force needs a system that allows debate to ensure a single, high-ranking officer doesn’t have the final word on how investigations proceed.

“It would have to be formalized, and thought would have to be given to how to prevent groupthink and to prevent the command structure from dominating,” he said.

“The investigative opinions should be based on evidence, information, knowledge and experience, not just by the number of stars and stripes on someone’s uniform.”

Another factor, Mr. Rossmo said, was the identity of the victims.

Mr. Rossmo said the fact the women were poor, drug-addicted prostitutes from the Downtown Eastside meant the public and the media weren’t putting pressure on the force, which allowed police management to remain apathetic.

“Your opinion is that if the women who went missing and were subsequently determined to be murdered by Willie Pickton had been from Vancouver’s west side, the case would have been handled differently?” asked Cameron Ward, a lawyer representing the families of 25 missing and murdered women.

“Yes,” Mr. Rossmo replied.

The force eventually adopted the serial killer theory, but Mr. Rossmo said it was far too late.

He and other officers were considering the possibility of a serial killer as early as September, 1998, and by then investigators were already receiving tips implicating Mr. Pickton.

But the force’s main spokesperson at the time, Constable Anne Drennan, continued to insist the serial killer theory was a red herring, telling a reporter in April, 1999: “There is absolutely nothing that has come to light that indicates that there is ... a serial killer on the loose, as some activists suggest.”

An internal Vancouver police report concluded that Constable Drennan was making such statements under the direction of Inspector Biddlecombe. She didn’t acknowledge the possibility of a serial killer until November, 1999.

Mr. Rossmo is expected to face tough cross-examination from lawyers for a number of police officers, including Inspector Biddlecombe.

Mr. Rossmo left the Vancouver police in December 2000, setting off an ugly wrongful dismissal lawsuit that he eventually lost.

He had been given the title of detective inspector for a five-year contract to run a geographical profiler unit, but the force decided to discontinue the project.

He rejected the offer of a lesser-paying job as constable. A judge later concluded the Vancouver police didn’t have an obligation to keep Mr. Rossmo at the rank and pay of inspector once his contract had ended.

He now teaches at Texas State University.

Mr. Pickton is now serving a life sentence with no chance of parole for 25 years after he was convicted of six counts of second-degree murder.

The remains or DNA of 33 women were found on his farm. After his arrest, he told an undercover police officer that he killed 49 women.

Report Typo/Error

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeBC

Next story




Most popular videos »

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular