Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

In pictures: Petroglyph returned home to first nations Add to ...

The boulder, measuring approximately three by five feet and weighing
about six tonnes, was found on the east bank of the Fraser River near
Crow’s Bar, B.C. back in 1926 by prospector H.S. Brown. It took a team of
10 horses a month to drag the boulder from the sandbar along the
Fraser River up the 3,000 foot ascent to the railhead near Clinton. After
years of being in Stanley Park in an unsheltered area where it was
subject to vandalism, the Park Board and the Museum agreed to donate
and move the rock to Museum of Vancouver in 1992 -- 86 years later the rock finally
made its way home again. John Lehmann, the Globe and Mail's Vancouver based staff photographer,
was there as the rock made the journey home.

Follow on Twitter: @johnlehmann