Suspected gunman Angus Mitchell, linked to the fatal shootings of two people at a Burnaby, B.C., sushi restaurant, planned to target schools in Burnaby and Surrey, B.C., as well as a group home, according to regional homicide investigators.
“There was the potential for many fatalities here,” said Sergeant Jennifer Pound, spokeswoman for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, which is looking into the plans of Mr. Mitchell, who was killed last week in a shootout with police.
She declined to say whether the schools were elementary, secondary or post-secondary, or to identify them or any other establishments specifically.
Sgt. Pound also qualified her comments earlier this week that Mr. Mitchell was solely responsible for the deaths of a man and a woman at the sushi restaurant, as well as the wounding of his former landlord.
“We can say he appears to be the only suspect at this point, but there’s so much information we need to sift through that we don’t know if there are other people. Is it likely he worked alone? Yes, it is. But we need to confirm that and rule all those questions out.”
The homicide team has said, based on documents found in the green Ford Aerostar van in which Mr. Mitchell was living after being evicted from his apartment, that he planned to target six businesses and six individuals in British Columbia.
But on Wednesday, they released what was described as “generic” descriptions of the targets of the 26-year-old former security-company employee.
In Burnaby, police allege Mr. Mitchell was targeting one restaurant, an individual and a school; in Vancouver, a coffee house and one individual; in New Westminster, one individual; in Coquitlam, one individual and a landscaping business; and in Port Coquitlam, one individual. In Surrey, he was allegedly targeting a group home, a restaurant, a gym, a school and an individual. And in White Rock, he was allegedly targeting a security business.
Sgt. Pound said there was no list, per se. “For each one of these individuals and businesses, it was more of a workup and a lot of work Mr. Mitchell put into gaining knowledge about these targets. We know he had a thought-out plan and he was prepared to go through with this plan as we see with the three victims.”
The 34-year-old woman killed at the restaurant was on the list, as was the business, police said.
Although Mr. Mitchell is dead, Sgt. Pound said the investigation continues to map out his conflicts with his targets and to educate investigators and the public on such cases.Report Typo/Error