A 200-page record of the movements of key suspects in the Surrey Six murder case was left for four years at the former home of a police officer before being returned last month to the Mounties, CBC News says.
The broadcaster reported Wednesday that the book was discovered about a year ago by an officer’s ex-wife when she was moving out of their home after a divorce. However, CBC says it was only recently returned to police by a family member of the officer.
The book, including photos, details movements of suspects in the 2007 gang-related killing of six men – two of them innocent bystanders – in a Surrey highrise, CBC reported. Three suspects are facing trial in the case later this month.
In a statement Wednesday, RCMP spokesman Sergeant Rob Vermeulen said the document turned into police on Aug. 12 was a “personal notebook” aimed at helping an officer refresh his memory.
“Where a police officer's notebook contains notes about a particular investigation, copies of those notes are provided to Crown and disclosed to the Court,” he wrote.
He declined further comment, saying such discretion is necessary before the case is about to go to trial later this month.
Defense lawyer Simon Buck, representing one of the accused, said he doubted the notebook would have much impact on the trial.
“The evidence we’re expecting to hear doesn’t really have any connection to what may be in that book,” said Mr. Buck.
However, he noted that he would have to await Crown disclosure of the notebook, expected soon, to be certain of that conclusion.
Four Mounties are facing charges that include obstruction of justice and fraud in their handling of the case.
Follow us on Twitter: