Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

U.S. actor Randy Quaid waves to well wishers as he departs Canada Immigration Court with his wife Evi (R) in Vancouver, British Columbia November 8, 2010. Quaid has applied for asylum in Canada. (Andy Clark/Reuters/Andy Clark/Reuters)
U.S. actor Randy Quaid waves to well wishers as he departs Canada Immigration Court with his wife Evi (R) in Vancouver, British Columbia November 8, 2010. Quaid has applied for asylum in Canada. (Andy Clark/Reuters/Andy Clark/Reuters)

Quaid bouncing between U.S., Canadian courts Add to ...

U.S. actor Randy Quaid's bid to become a Canadian refugee has been put over to Nov. 23 as his Canadian lawyer grapples with issues that include legal proceedings calling him back to the United States.

"It's kind of tough to be in two places at once," Catherine Sas told reporters Monday after Mr. Quaid made a brief appearance before a member of the Immigration and Refugee Board.

More related to this story

The hearing was put over after Ms. Sas said she needed more time to review disclosure documents in the case.

The Oscar-nominated actor featured in such films as Brokeback Mountain, Days of Thunder and Independence Day has a Nov. 16 court appearance in Santa Barbara, Calif., linked to charges last September that he and his wife, Evi, lived illegally in a guest house they formerly owned and allegations they caused $5,000 damage to the property.

"He's got processes [in Canada]and processes [in the United States] so he's trying to do his best to comply with being in two places at once," Ms. Sas said as her client stood silently beside her just outside the downtown skyscraper where an admissibility hearing was held.

On Mr. Quaid's reticence to speak, Ms. Sas explained, "He's said enough for the next little while."

After their arrest in Vancouver last month on outstanding warrants from the United States, Mr. Quaid and his wife claimed "Hollywood star whackers" were out to strip him of a fortune garnered over a 40-year career in show business, and then murder him. The Quaids claimed the "star whackers" were linked to the deaths of such actors as Heath Ledger and David Carradine, although there is no evidence the deaths were anything but natural.

After an earlier appearance before the IRB, the 60-year-old actor read a lengthy statement detailing his allegations, and pointedly naming his enemies.

But on Monday, the actor, dressed in a black suit and running shoes, said nothing as Ms. Sas dealt with reporters. Going into the scrum, he would only admit to feeling "pretty good" about his situation.

Mr. Quaid and his wife, Evi, claimed refugee status after their arrest. Ms. Quaid, it turns out, has status in Canada because her father is Canadian.

However, Ms. Sas repeated her previously stated view that the refugee claim may be dropped as an option for allowing Mr. Quaid to stay in Canada, where he has said he is intent on relaunching his career.

"We're still considering all these different aspects of this case. There are still different options for him," she said.

Ms. Sas declined to comment on whether her client still feared star whackers. "I'm not going to dignify that with a response," she said just before the Quaids left by car.

Follow on Twitter: @ianabailey

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories