Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

(JIM SLOSIAREK/AP)
(JIM SLOSIAREK/AP)

RCMP to investigate tasering of 11-year-old boy Add to ...

The RCMP Public Complaints Commission has launched an inquiry into the conduct of the Mounties involved in the tasering of an 11-year-old boy in Prince George.

The complaint, initiated by the interim head of the commission Ian McPhail, will look at whether the conduct of the RCMP members complied with policies, procedures, training and statutory requirements related to the use of force, says a news release posted on the commission’s website.

More related to this story

The commission’s inquiry will be in addition to the investigation launched by the major crime unit of the West Vancouver police department. “The Commission had been monitoring the case since the incident occurred and felt it necessary to initiate its own complaint at this time,” the news release says.

The inquiry comes after the commission undertook extensive work on RCMP taser use. The RCMP announced a new policy on taser use in April, 2010 that reflected many of the commission’s recommendations, the release says.

The 11-year old boy was tasered on April 7. He is believed to be the youngest person to have been jolted by an RCMP taser. The officer who used the taser had 18-months experience on the job, according to media reports.

The RCMP were responding to a 911 call about a 37-year old staff member at a residential facility being stabbed. The boy was at a neighbouring property when police arrived, the media has reported. The B.C. Representative for Children and Youth Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has said she is also considering an investigation into the incident.

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeBC

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories