Vancouver police are recommending charges against 40 more people accused of participating in the 2011 Stanley Cup riot – including three men who are accused of brutally beating two Good Samaritans.
Vancouver police held a news conference Friday to announce the latest set of charge recommendations. In B.C., police must forward their recommendations to the Crown for approval. The department has now recommended charges against 315 people accused of participating in the riot in all.
The attacks on the Good Samaritans occurred outside downtown stores. One of the alleged victims suffered a concussion and collapsed lung.
Inspector Laurence Rankin, who leads the Integrated Riot Investigation Team, said police are continuing to receive tips and are still pursuing additional suspects.
“We’re continuing the investigation,” he told reporters. “We’re looking at the most egregious offences.”
The riot – Vancouver’s second hockey riot in 17 years – broke out in June, 2011, after the hometown Canucks lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. The riot left more than $3.7-million in damage.
As of last week, the Crown said just over 100 individuals charged in connection with the riot had pleaded guilty.
With a report from Sunny Dhillon