Grand Prix fans who have had personal information posted online by the activist group Anonymous say they still plan on attending next month’s car race in Montreal.
But many are concerned the race could be disrupted by protests and are taking extra precautions.
Colin Chariandy, a Toronto engineer, says he will stay with relatives outside the city, rather than rent a hotel in the downtown core.
Anonymous carried through on a threat issued earlier this week that warned F1 fans to avoid buying their tickets to Montreal’s race online.
The group hacked into a website selling tickets to the June 10 race, dumping names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, the type of ticket and the amount spent online.
Anonymous had said it would go after the F1 race as part of its campaign against Bill 78, the emergency legislation Quebec passed on May 18 to deal with the protests.
The emergency legislation has drawn criticism from a number of sources, including Amnesty International and most recently the United Nations, which say it infringes on such rights as freedom of association.
As part of its widening campaign, Anonymous released footage on Wednesday from an exclusive birthday party held for a member of the Desmarais family, among the richest in Canada.
The 2008 party was attended by Quebec Premier Jean Charest, as well as former U.S. president George H.W. Bush and former prime ministers Jean Chretien and Brian Mulroney.
Follow us on Twitter: