Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

(Adrian Wyld)
(Adrian Wyld)

Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan relieved of duty Add to ...

Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan, Brigadier-General Daniel Ménard, has been dismissed from command following allegations he had an intimate relationship with a member of his staff, violating the military's rules on personal relationships in the field.

The other member of Joint Task Force Afghanistan has been sent home, according to a military spokesman.

More Related to this Story

Lieutenant-General Marc Lessard, commander of Canadian forces overseas, made the announcement Saturday, a few days after Brig.-Gen. Ménard returned to Kandahar from a three-week leave.

The change of command comes at a crucial time in the war in Afghanistan. Coalition troops are poised to launch a major operation in Kandahar in June, which Brig-Gen Ménard once described as the defining moment of the war where his troops would "break the back" of the Taliban.



It's a personal thing, so I don't see that as any sort of mark against the institution at all. Col. Hetherington


Although Canadian military commanders sought to contain the controversy as personal, news of Brig.-Gen Menard's dismissal reverberated across Afghanistan, on local radio and television shows.

Brig.-Gen Menard commands 2,800 Canadian soldiers in southern Afghanistan, as well as a contingent of American troops serving under Canadian command.

The allegations against him had "caused Commander CEFCOM to lose confidence in Brig-Gen. Ménard's capacity to command," the military said in a brief statement.

Military rules strictly forbid any kind of intimacy on deployments including relationships of an emotional, romantic or sexual nature.

On Saturday, Brig-Gen. Menard, who is 42 and married with two children, was relieved of duty. He will be flown back to Canada, according to a military spokesperson.

Major Daryl Morrell, senior public affairs officer with Joint Task Force Afghanistan, said it was "too early to speculate on the charges" Brig.-Gen. Ménard could face, because they won't be known until the military completes its investigation.

Lt.-Gen. Lessard made a brief visit to Afghanistan several weeks ago, before Brig.-Gen Ménard went on leave. However, reporters at Kandahar Airfield were told the allegations were only revealed to Lt.-Gen Lessard on Saturday. Lt.-Gen. Lessard acted immediately to replace Brig.-Gen Menard.

Colonel Simon Hetherington, previously Brig.-Gen. Ménard's second-in-command, is now acting commander.

In comments to reporters, he sought to downplay any consequences the allegations could have on the military's reputation.

"The allegations against Brig-Gen. Ménard are that - they're allegations against Brig.-Gen. Ménard," Col. Hetherington said.

"It's a personal thing, so I don't see that as any sort of mark against the institution at all," he added.

Brig.-Gen Menard joined the Canadian forces in 1984 and was posted to the Royal 22nd Regiment where initially served as a platoon commander.

He rose quickly through the ranks, serving in Great Britain, Berlin, Germany and Bosnia as well as National . He assumed command of Task Force Kandahar in November, replacing Brig.-Gen. Jonathan Vance.

Now Brig-Gen Vance, is being dispatched back to Kandahar and resume control of the mission for the pivotal fighting season.

He will be replaced by Brig.-Gen Dean Milner in September.

This is not the first time controversy has dogged Brig.-Gen Ménard.

Last week he was fined $3,500 for accidentally firing his rifle at Kandahar Air Field in March. He had failed to switch is C8 carbine rifle to the "safe" position before departing in a helicopter with his boss, General Walter Natynczyk.

The rifle fired a double-burst. Nobody was injured, but the incident qualifies as an offence under the National Defence Act, with a maximum penalty of dismissal from the military.

At a military hearing into the incident, Brig.-Gen Ménard's defence lawyer argued for leniency, noting the commander reported the mishap to investigators and discussed the incident openly with his soldiers.

With a report from The Canadian Press

Follow on Twitter: @soniaverma

 

Top stories

Most popular video »

Highlights

Most Popular Stories