A Chinese restaurant in Ottawa has been fined after dozens of people became ill from eating rice, including 25 children, 580 CFRA reports.
A doctor with Ottawa Public Health says lab tests found the bacteria bacillus cereus in a fried rice dish served to the children.
Carolyn Pim says six children who were sent to hospital had symptoms including dizziness and vomiting, which are consistent with the bacteria.
She adds that the bacteria most commonly causes illness when food isn’t kept hot after being cooked.
The children had been at a Mandarin-language day camp.
The Ottawa Public Health investigation found that 44 people in total became sick after eating at Lotus Chinese Take-Out (on Fallowfield Road.)
Follow us on Twitter: