Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Sayfildin Tahir Sharif appears in court in Edmonton on Jan. 20, 2011 in this artist's sketch. (Amanda McRoberts/Amanda McRoberts/The Canadian Press)
Sayfildin Tahir Sharif appears in court in Edmonton on Jan. 20, 2011 in this artist's sketch. (Amanda McRoberts/Amanda McRoberts/The Canadian Press)

Edmonton terror suspect denied bail Add to ...

An Edmonton man accused of supporting a terrorist attack in Iraq that killed five U.S. soldiers has been denied bail.

A judge ruled Friday that there's enough evidence as far as extradition proceedings go to keep Sayfilden Tahir Sharif behind bars.

Mr. Sharif, 38, was arrested last month in Edmonton at the request of the FBI and may be extradited to go on trial in the United States. The U.S. Justice Department also accuses him of being a would-be suicide bomber who poses an extreme danger to the community.

More related to this story

Mr. Sharif, an ethnic Kurd, was born in Iraq but moved to Toronto as a refugee in 1993 and became a Canadian citizen in 1997.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Eric Macklin said the crimes Mr. Sharif is accused of are "extremely serious" and it's essential he remain in custody.

At a bail hearing Wednesday, Mr. Sharif's wife, Cara Rain, said he was a loving, playful man who had helped her raise her four children and brought order to her life. She told the judge she didn't believe Mr. Sharif was part of any terror attacks.

Mr. Sharif's lawyer, Bob Aloneissi, had been seeking $10,000 bail and stringent conditions similar to house arrest.

Federal Crown lawyer Jim Shaw has said he doesn't expect the extradition hearing to begin before June and predicts it will be lengthy. Mr. Aloneissi has said his client wants to stay in Canada and fight the charges.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

 

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories