Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

AdChoices
Toronto police Inspector Joanna Beaven-Desjardins told a news conference Saturday morning that a total of three women have reported sexual-assault allegations against former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/CBC)
Toronto police Inspector Joanna Beaven-Desjardins told a news conference Saturday morning that a total of three women have reported sexual-assault allegations against former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/CBC)

Former radio host Jian Ghomeshi withdraws $55-million lawsuit against CBC Add to ...

Former radio host Jian Ghomeshi has agreed to withdraw a $55-million lawsuit against the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in the public broadcaster’s favour, and to address his October dismissal from the corporation through a union grievance.

“The civil suit has been dismissed with costs in favour of the CBC,” Chuck Thompson, head of public affairs for the CBC, said in an interview.

The CBC will be awarded $18,000 in costs, although the suit’s dismissal must still be formalized with a court order. Mr. Ghomeshi does not receive any money through the agreement he has reached with the CBC, Mr. Thompson said.

Mr. Ghomeshi filed the lawsuit a day after he was fired from the CBC on Oct. 26, claiming breach of confidence and defamation and asking for punitive damages. The CBC then argued in court filings earlier this month that Mr. Ghomeshi’s allegations were frivolous or vexatious, and urged a court to dismiss the suit.

The agreement still needs to be formalized through a court – a step Mr. Thompson said is expected in the near future.

According to the CBC, Mr. Ghomeshi will now contest his dismissal through a grievance for reinstatement already filed with the help of the union that represents him, the Canadian Media Guild.

A lawyer representing Mr. Ghomeshi, Jonathan Lisus, confirmed the lawsuit “has been resolved” and that “Mr. Ghomeshi will address all issues in the lawsuit in binding arbitration in accordance with the collective agreement between them.”

The CBC fired Mr. Ghomeshi three days after lawyers representing the well-known radio host showed two CBC executives video, photographs, text messages and e-mails in which he is seen causing physical “injury” to a woman, according to the CBC’s senior leadership.

Since then, at least nine women have made allegations of sexual abuse or harassment against the former host. The CBC has launched a third-party investigation and Toronto Police are in the midst of their own probe after three women contacted them with complaints of sexual assault.

In a 1,586-word statement posted to his Facebook page – and since removed – Mr. Ghomeshi said he has engaged in “rough sex,” but that, “Everything I have done has been consensual.”

With a report from the Canadian Press

Report Typo/Error

Follow on Twitter: @jembradshaw

Next story

loading

In the know

The Globe Recommends

loading

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular