Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Mohamed Harkat smiles and gives a thumbs up as he drives away from the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ont., Monday September 21, 2009. (Sean Kilpatrick)
Mohamed Harkat smiles and gives a thumbs up as he drives away from the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ont., Monday September 21, 2009. (Sean Kilpatrick)

Judge says no to terror suspect's bid for cellphone access Add to ...

A federal judge has denied a request from terror suspect Mohamed Harkat to further loosen his bail conditions - with one exception.

Mr. Harkat will be allowed to travel outside the national capital region to places in Ontario and Quebec if details can be worked out with federal officials.

In a ruling released today, Justice Simon Noel said it was too early to consider Mr. Harkat's other demands, given that the substance of his case has yet to be heard.

More Related to this Story

Among other things, Mr. Harkat requested removal of the electronic monitoring bracelet on his ankle, permission to have a cell phone and more freedom to use a computer.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service alleges Mr. Harkat is involved with the al-Qaeda terror network - a claim he denies.

Last month the court did ease bail conditions considerably, meaning no more surveillance cameras in Mr. Harkat's Ottawa home, no need to approve visitors and no further interception of mail and phone calls.

The government has been trying to deport the Algerian-born Mr. Harkat using a national security certificate, a rarely employed immigration tool, since his December 2002 arrest.

He and four other men face removal from Canada under certificates. All are fighting to remain in the country.



Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

 

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories