Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Muslim youth conference cancelled in Montreal after ‘security review’ Add to ...

A Muslim youth conference in Montreal, which drew criticism from the Parti Quebecois government, has been cancelled by the convention centre where it was supposed to be held.

The Palais des congres, the city’s largest convention centre, announced Saturday it won’t hold next weekend’s event for security reasons.

More Related to this Story

The decision was made after a “security review,” the Palais des congres said in a statement.

The move comes as Quebec is embroiled in a debate over the accommodation of religious minorities.

The Parti Quebecois government, which wants to introduce a new secular charter this fall, had asked Ottawa to block some of the conference’s speakers from entering the country.

In a letter to her federal counterpart last week, Quebec’s minister responsible for the Status of Women, Agnes Maltais, said some of the speakers were circulating ideas that violated the “principles of equality.”

Maltais said the PQ government is against the sexism of speakers, who have reportedly said that not wearing the veil is worse than cancer.

The conference, which translates from French as “Between Heaven and Earth,” was held last year in Montreal.

It aims to bring together Muslim youth to exchange ideas and features internationally recognized religious speakers, according to its website.

This year’s edition has four speakers, including Nader Abou Anas, the head of a Muslim youth association in France, according to the conference website.

In online videos, Anas is seen warning women against wearing revealing clothing and tells them to wear the hijab.

Conference organizers could not immediately be reached for comment on Saturday. It’s not clear if they will try to find another venue.

In a statement posted to its Facebook page, organizers said they were aware of the convention centre’s decision and were “working on the situation.”

On Friday, Ishaq Mustaqim, a spokesman for the conference, told reporters it had been unfairly targeted and that it did “not promote hate or violence toward women or any other group.”

The province’s debate over religious accommodation has been revived by the PQ’s plan for a new “Quebec Charter of Values.”

Leaked details include a ban for public-sector workers on religious symbols such as kippas, hijabs and turbans, along with visible crosses.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories