A 25-year-old man faces multiple charges in connection with a string of violent sexual crimes.
Police Chief Charles Bordeleau says Yousef Hussein of Ottawa has been arrested and charged in relation to six sexual assaults over the last two years.
Police began an investigation into three alleged assaults that took place between August of 2012 and October last year.
But Hussein has also been charged in three other sexual assaults that occurred in March, June and October of last year and were not part of the initial investigation.
Hussein was scheduled to appear in court Friday.
He is charged with six counts of sex assault, three counts of overcoming resistance and two counts each of break and enter and committing an indecent act.
Bordeleau says investigators pulled out all the stops in trying to make an arrest.
And he commended victims for coming forward.
“Identifying and arresting the person responsible for these crimes has been a priority for the Ottawa Police Service and I want to thank the investigators for their work,” Bordeleau told a news conference.
“I especially want to recognize the great courage and resilience of the women who came forward to police. It’s vital that these crimes are reported.”
More charges could be laid as the investigation continues.
Bordeleau refused to discuss details of the investigation now that evidence is going before a court.
Police received hundreds of tips after going public with accusations from three women that they were choked and sexually assaulted after being approached by a man as they walked alone at night.