Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

File photo of police tape (JOHN LEHMANN/GLOBE AND MAIL)
File photo of police tape (JOHN LEHMANN/GLOBE AND MAIL)

Police say weapon recovered in Newfoundland double-murder Add to ...

Police in eastern Newfoundland say they have recovered the weapon believed to have been used in a double-murder and subsequent suicide.

A 35-year-old woman and 45-year-old man were fatally shot Tuesday night at a shopping plaza west of St. John’s, leading to a tense search for a gunman that extended into Thursday.

More Related to this Story

Schools in the Conception Bay South area were closed and residents were told to stay indoors.

When police discovered the body of a 43-year-old man in a cemetery in St. John’s yesterday, they identified him as the alleged killer.

Police say they are not searching for any other suspects, and there is no threat to the public.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says investigators believe the shooter had been involved in a romantic relationship in the past with the female victim.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

Top stories

Most popular video »

Highlights

Most Popular Stories