Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Rescuers search for workers in a quarry at L'Epiphanie, Que., on Tuesday, January 29, 2013. Quebec provincial police said the body of a man and woman were recovered on Feb. 2, 2013. (Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)
Rescuers search for workers in a quarry at L'Epiphanie, Que., on Tuesday, January 29, 2013. Quebec provincial police said the body of a man and woman were recovered on Feb. 2, 2013. (Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

Second body found at site of Quebec landslide Add to ...

Four days after a landslide at a Quebec quarry, rescue crews recovered the body of a man and a woman from the rubble.

Quebec provincial police said the body of 54-year-old Daniel Brisebois was located at around 12:20 p.m. on Saturday and the woman’s body was found at about 6:20 p.m., and taken out of the quarry about three hours later.

More Related to this Story

Police spokesman Benoit Richard said the woman likely won’t be identified until Sunday, but they think it’s the second victim.

Crews had been searching for two workers – a man and a woman – who went missing after their vehicles were swept into a gravel pit dozens of metres deep on Tuesday.

The vehicles were trapped in huge mounds of loose gravel at the bottom of the crater in L’Epiphanie, Que., just outside Montreal.

A third worker whose vehicle also fell into the quarry was rescued by a provincial police helicopter on Tuesday within hours of the collapse.

Rescue efforts were thwarted throughout the week by bad weather and concerns of another landslide.

Roughly 50 people have been working on the recovery effort, including geologists, firefighters and specially trained police officers.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

 

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories