There were two alleged terrorists of Canadian origin in January’s deadly hostage-taking incident at a gas plant in Algeria, says the RCMP.
The development adds to a previous statement from the national police force earlier this month confirming that at least one Canadian’s remains were found at the In Amenas site, without specifying whether the remains belonged to a victim, a terrorist or a visitor at the plant.
The latest news release confirms that the RCMP criminal investigation into the matter is ongoing.
“This evening, the RCMP is confirming a second Canadian has been identified from human remains of alleged terrorists in the attack at the gas plant,” RCMP spokesman Greg Cox said in a statement on Saturday. “Our investigation into this matter continues and no further information will be given at this time.”
In January, Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal said two Canadians were among those who took hostages in the deadly siege. The claim led to heightened tensions between Ottawa and Algiers, though a federal official said earlier this week that the Algerian government has been "very helpful throughout this process."
Algerian special forces raided the gas plant in January to end the standoff. At least 38 hostages died over the course of the hostage-taking.