Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo. (JOHN LEHMANN/THE GLOBE AND MAIL)
Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo. (JOHN LEHMANN/THE GLOBE AND MAIL)

Shots fired, one man dead in armed standoff with police in Winnipeg Add to ...

A 16-hour armed standoff in Winnipeg has left one man dead and few details as to how he was killed.

Police were called to a home in the North End neighbourhood Wednesday morning by reports that an armed man was threatening to harm himself.

Officers surrounded the area and talked to the man on the phone and using a bullhorn, but after several hours shots were fired. The man, the resident of the home, fired first, Det. Sgt. Natalie Aitken said.

“There were gun shots that were fired from that residence and our officers returned fire.”

Power to the house and a number of surrounding homes was cut off. Early Thursday morning, police entered the house and found the man dead. He was identified as Andrew Baryluk, 52.

There were media reports late Thursday that Baryluk was under a court order to vacate the residence after a dispute with his brother, who owned the home and was intending to put it up for sale.

An autopsy was being done to determine the cause of death. Aitken said it was too early to say whether the man was shot by police or died by suicide.

No officers were injured.

“Right now, I don’t have a definitive answer for you. Obviously, we’re proceeding with that investigation.”

Baryluk was not previously know to police, Aitken said.

In the know

Most popular videos »


More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular