Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Ashley Smith is shown being duct-taped to her seat on an airplane during a prison transfer on April 12, 2007, in this image from video.
Ashley Smith is shown being duct-taped to her seat on an airplane during a prison transfer on April 12, 2007, in this image from video.

Corrections

Unusual signs of co-operation emerge at Ashley Smith inquest Add to ...

The long-delayed inquest into the prison death of a deeply troubled teenager finally appeared to be on track Tuesday amid unprecedented signs of co-operation by prison authorities and doctors who had been fighting to limit their exposure.

Instead of the legal wrangling that has become the defining hallmark of the probe into the death of Ashley Smith, the parties spent a few hours in rare agreement before proceedings were adjourned until the new year.

More Related to this Story

Richard Macklin, a lawyer for Ontario’s child and youth advocate, said Ms. Smith’s family had been on a “litigation caravan” for two years that finally ended with the screening of disturbing jailhouse videos late last month.

“We’re seeing the co-operation that flows from shining a light on the videos relating to Ashley Smith,” Mr. Macklin said.

“All of a sudden, when we finally succeed on the video issue, the house of cards collapses.”

Among other things, the jailhouse videos showed authorities duct-taping a hooded, docile Smith to her airplane seat and injecting her against her will with tranquillizers.

Ms. Smith, 19, of Moncton, N.B., died in her cell at the Grand Valley Institution in Kitchener, Ont., in October, 2007, after wrapping a strip of cloth around her neck. Guards who were ordered not to intervene stood watch outside her cell.

Most of her final year was spent in segregation, being shunted 17 times among nine different prisons in five provinces.

Correctional Service Canada and four psychiatrists who treated Ms. Smith in institutions outside Ontario fought unsuccessfully to keep the videos under wraps as part of their motion to severely restrict the scope of the inquest under Dr. John Carlisle. They argued Dr. Carlisle’s authority ended at the Ontario border and that he had no right to delve into the federal prison system. On Tuesday, Dr. Carlisle dismissed their motion, saying he would provide written reasons at a later date.

Lawyers credited the new harmony to the public outcry that followed the video screening and the intervention of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, who called prison authorities’ treatment of Ms. Smith unacceptable and ordered them to co-operate with the inquest.

As a sign of the co-operation, the out-of-province doctors – Jeffrey Penn, of Truro, N.S., Olajide Adelugba, of Saskatoon, Renee Fugere, and Michelle Roy, both of Montreal – agreed to give evidence voluntarily. Mark Freiman, who speaks for the doctors, said his clients had not withdrawn their objections to the broader scope, but would wait to see Dr. Carlisle’s written reasons before deciding any next steps. He did say the doctors would testify.

Before adjourning, Dr. Carlisle ordered Corrections to produce a list of relevant videos in its possession and to turn over any it hadn’t already done so.

 

Topics:

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular