Former Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe says he will not run in the next Quebec election.
Duceppe told The Canadian Press on Monday he won’t seek a Parti Québécois nomination and hasn’t been asked by the PQ if he would be interested.
“I don’t have the intention of running in this election,” the 66-year-old said in a telephone interview, adding he would have declined any offer if he had been asked.
Speculation is swirling that Premier Pauline Marois is poised to call a provincial election in the days or weeks after her minority government tables its budget on Thursday.
Duceppe has been associated with the PQ in the past – usually as a potential leader.
He said he will contribute to the campaign through his column in a Montreal newspaper.
Duceppe said he hopes Marois will call another sovereignty referendum if the PQ forms a majority government.
“I would hope so,” he said. “Of course, we won’t be doing this lightly.”
Marois has said she would like her government to produce a status update on Quebec’s position in Canada before going to public consultations.