Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

The Conservative government said Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, that millions of records of registered long guns have been destroyed. (Sean Kilpatrick/THE CANADIAN PRESS)
The Conservative government said Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, that millions of records of registered long guns have been destroyed. (Sean Kilpatrick/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Quebec loses another gun-registry battle with Ottawa Add to ...

Quebec has come out on the losing side yet again in its gun-registry battle with Ottawa.

The province’s highest court has dismissed a Quebec government bid to force Ottawa to keep data related to the federal long-gun registry.

The same court ruled last month that the federal government’s destruction of the data was constitutional.

More Related to this Story

The provincial government had already announced plans to appeal that decision to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Quebec Justice Minister Bertrand St-Arnaud reacted quickly to today’s ruling by saying the province would launch an immediate appeal with the Supreme Court to prevent any destruction of documents.

Ottawa has already destroyed registry data pertaining to other provinces.

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobePolitics

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular