In a separate incident from the fall of 2012, Mr. Fickel told Mr. Towhey, the mayor’s then chief of staff, that the mayor had stopped while driving to drink a “mickey” of vodka after football practice. According to Mr. Fickel, Mr. Ford pulled his car over and grabbed an LCBO paper bag from the front of his passenger seat, “and drank the 11 or 12 oz mickey in 1½-2 minutes going back and forth with a Gatorade.”
Mr. Fickel told police he saw the mayor intoxicated on about 15 to 20 occasions – at his office, at football practice, and at other events. He added that he was asked to buy alcohol for the mayor seven to 10 times. A number of other staffers also told police they had been asked on occasion to purchase alcohol for the mayor.
Nico Fidani, a former staffer described in the affidavit as expressing concerns that Mr. Lisi was providing the mayor with illegal drugs, described one such incident to police in a June 26 interview. He said he dropped a “mickey” of vodka off at the mayor’s house and afterwards told Mr. Towhey, who, according to the affidavit, “said that it was fine but to never do it again.”
Mr. Fidani told police he would frequently receive calls from the mayor, who sometimes sounded intoxicated, regarding “strange requests,” such as picking up two cases of Diet Coke.
Mr. Fidani told police he was with the mayor the night of the Garrison Ball and that he tried unsuccessfully to convince Mr. Ford it would be inappropriate to bring his children to an adult event..”
The release of the document came on the same day that Mr. Ford faced a grilling by his colleagues at City Hall, after Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong brought forth a motion Wednesday asking the mayor to apologize. At one point of the debate, Mr. Minnan-Wong asked Mr. Ford whether he has purchased illegal drugs in the past two years. “Yes, I have,” Mr. Ford replied after a long pause.
After months of denials, Mr. Ford admitted last week to reporters that he has smoked crack cocaine. “No, I’m not an addict and no, I do not do drugs.”
The new allegations come from nearly 500 pages of police evidence used to acquire a search warrant for Mr. Ford’s friend, Mr. Lisi, in Project Brazen 2. That police investigation, which was launched as a result of media reports about a video showing Mr. Ford smoking crack cocaine, tracked Mr. Ford’s activities for months across the city, and resulted in a slew of drug charges against Mr. Lisi, 35, and Etobicoke dry cleaner Jamshid Bahrami in early October.
Detective-Sergeant Gary Giroux, one of Toronto Police’s most seasoned detectives, was assigned to lead that probe, and has said he recently extended an invitation to Mr. Ford through the mayor’s chief of staff to interview him. But Mr. Ford has said he is acting on his lawyer’s advice by not agreeing to speak with police.
In his decision Wednesday morning, Justice Ian Nordheimer wrote that there is “no serious risk posed to the administration of justice arising from giving public access” to the document.
Justice Nordheimer specified that information about Mayor’s activities should be released because the police investigation “was an investigation into allegations surrounding the Mayor. It was not an investigation into the activities of Mr. Lisi and Bahrami.”
The Globe, The Toronto Star, and a group of other media organizations have been fighting a court battle for the ITO to be released to the public. The document was previously released in October, but with significant portions redacted. Justice Nordheimer ruled Wednesday that some of those redacted portions now be publicly released.
“We are very pleased with the decision,” The Globe’s lawyer, Peter Jacobsen, said Wednesday morning. “This again affirms the Court’s firm support of greater transparency and openness. We believe the information that should be released by the Crown within the next 24 hours will be of interest to the public and is in the public interest.”Report Typo/Error