Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Noel Gallagher at the Soho Metropolitan Hotel in September, 2008, while in Toronto for the Virgin Music Festival. (JENNIFER ROBERTS/Jennifer Roberts/The Globe and Mail)
Noel Gallagher at the Soho Metropolitan Hotel in September, 2008, while in Toronto for the Virgin Music Festival. (JENNIFER ROBERTS/Jennifer Roberts/The Globe and Mail)

Gallagher won't attend next sentencing for attacker Add to ...

Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher's on-again, off-again plan to address a Toronto court at the sentencing of a fan who attacked him onstage in 2008 is now off again.

At the urging of Mr. Gallagher, 42, the Crown sought and received an adjournment of last week's scheduled sentencing of Danny Sullivan, 48, of Pickering so that the British rock star could deliver his victim impact statement in person. Mr. Sullivan had already pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm for drunkenly mounting the stage at a Toronto Island concert and shoving Mr. Gallagher into a speaker cabinet, breaking three of his ribs.

More Related to this Story

Mr. Justice Richard Schneider reluctantly agreed to the delay, but at a hearing to set the new sentencing date of March 23 yesterday, prosecutor Ruth Kleinhenz told court Mr. Gallagher no longer plans to attend.

"I'm mystified," John Collins, lawyer for Mr. Sullivan, said later. "I suppose there's reason to be concerned we might encounter another delay; hopefully that's not the case."

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular