Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

In Pictures: A look inside RC Harris Plant Add to ...

R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant in Toronto is one of those rare examples in which industrial architecture is approached with an aesthetic intention. It sits as an imposing fortress by the lake, with an air of mystery surrounding it. It is named after Roland Caldwell Harris, Toronto’s commissioner of public works from 1912 until 1945. The water plant, and other Toronto landmarks such as the Bloor Street viaduct, were built during his tenure.

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeToronto