Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

More than 40 items gone from website since Warren Kinsella accused Tory of segregationist transit policy. (Tom Sandler for The Globe and Mail)
More than 40 items gone from website since Warren Kinsella accused Tory of segregationist transit policy. (Tom Sandler for The Globe and Mail)

Strategist Warren Kinsella deletes blog posts backing Chow Add to ...

The political strategist who came under fire for accusing John Tory of “segregationist” policies – and whom the Olivia Chow campaign has attempted to distance itself from in recent days – has since deleted dozens of posts from his blog related to Ms. Chow and her run for mayor.

Ever since Warren Kinsella, an outspoken Liberal strategist who is head of Ms. Chow’s rapid-response “war room,” incited controversy this week by accusing rival John Tory of having a “segregationist” transit plan, Ms. Chow has attempted to play down his role on her campaign. In recent days, Mr. Kinsella appears to have deleted more than 40 blog posts he’s written in support of Ms. Chow, dating back to at least November of last year -- later writing on his blog that he still supports her, but is trying to be "positive".

More Related to this Story

The deleted posts alternately praise Ms. Chow and attack her rivals, and include ones titled, “Toronto needs a mayor: Olivia is a winner, Tory and Stintz aren’t,” and “Chow beats Ford. Tory, Stintz Don’t.” A few appear to be identical with official Chow campaign press releases, posted to his blog shortly after being sent to reporters.

A cached version of one post attacking Mr. Tory written last month, shows it was still live on Mr. Kinsella’s website as of Wednesday evening. But by Friday afternoon, the link generated a blank page. Posts that directly precede that one remained intact.

On Friday morning, when asked about the posts, Mr. Kinsella responded with an e-mail saying “I’m on holiday with my family and have no comment, thanks.” But by Friday night, after the Globe reported about them, he referred to them in a new blog post. "1. On holiday. 2. Still support her. 3. Site maintenance. Keeping positive, kids," he wrote.

Jamey Heath, a spokesperson for Ms. Chow, said Mr. Kinsella is still a part of the team, and that the Chow campaign did not ask Mr. Kinsella to remove the posts.

“No. I can definitively answer that one,” he said. “His website and his Twitter feed are not Olivia Chow campaign vehicles.”

He added that he had been unaware of the deleted posts until approached by The Globe and Mail on Friday.

On Friday morning, Mr. Heath said Mr. Kinsella remains the head of the campaign’s war room, and that at least one staffer from Mr. Kinsella’s company, Daisy Consulting, is still being paid to provide media monitoring for the Chow campaign. He also confirmed that the Chow campaign has spoken with Mr. Kinsella as recently as in the past few days..

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular