Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Convicted pedophile Gordon Stuckless was re-arrested on new sexual assault charges and taken to 52 Division in Toronto on March 22, 2013. (Fred Lum/The Globe and Mail)
Convicted pedophile Gordon Stuckless was re-arrested on new sexual assault charges and taken to 52 Division in Toronto on March 22, 2013. (Fred Lum/The Globe and Mail)

Maple Leaf Gardens abuser Stuckless arrested on fresh charges Add to ...

One of Canada’s most notorious child molesters has been arrested again – for the second time in less than a week – on new sexual assault charges.

Gordon Stuckless, the man at the centre of the Maple Leaf Gardens sex abuse scandal, was arrested Tuesday by York Regional Police and appeared in court in Newmarket, Ont., on Wednesday.

More Related to this Story

Mr. Stuckless, 64, has been charged with 11 offences relating to alleged sexual assaults on two men who say they were abused as boys between 1982 and 1985, said Constable Andy Pattenden, a York Regional Police spokesman. He faces charges of indecent assault on a male, gross indecency and sexual assault.

He was released Wednesday on $1,000 bail with several conditions, such as no Internet access and no leaving home without his surety.

One of his alleged victims was a student at a Richmond Hill school where Mr. Stuckless was a teacher’s assistant. The other played hockey on a team he coached.

Last week, Toronto Police arrested and charged Mr. Stuckless with 15 offences allegedly committed against five boys in the 1960s and ’70s. He was charged with indecent assault on a male, gross indecency and buggery.

Investigators also said they believe there may be more victims.

In February, Toronto police also charged Mr. Stuckless with six counts of indecent assault on a male, assault and possession of a weapon or imitation weapon. Those charges involve two complainants who were 11 and 13 at the time of the alleged crimes, when Mr. Stuckless was volunteering at a Toronto community centre and sports clubs.

Mr. Stuckless was convicted in 1997 of multiple sex assaults on boys while he was an assistant equipment manager at Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens from 1969 to 1988. He pleaded guilty to sexual abuse against 24 males ranging in age from 11 to 15, in a series of crimes encompassing more than 500 incidents.

He was initially sentenced to two years less a day in a provincial jail, but the sentence was appealed and extended to five years. He was paroled from Kingston Penitentiary in 2001 after serving two-thirds of his five-year term.

His first sentence was widely criticized as being too lenient, and was said to have been instrumental in the suicide of one of his victims, Martin Kruze, 34, who jumped to his death off Toronto’s Bloor Viaduct just three days after the sentence was imposed.

Two former Maple Leaf Gardens colleagues, usher John Paul Roby and equipment manager George Hannah, were also implicated in what the Crown described as a pedophile sex ring. Mr. Roby was convicted and died in a federal prison, but Mr. Hannah died in 1984 before Mr. Kruze spoke up.

Follow on Twitter: @jillsmahoney

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories