One week after announcing he would weigh in every two weeks instead of weekly, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has called off another appointment with the scale.
The Mayor’s office put out a news release at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday cancelling the event and promising that “details of a rescheduled weigh-in will be provided in a forthcoming media advisory.”
Mr. Ford’s press secretary said later in an e-mail that the mayor had off-site meetings he couldn’t reschedule.
The Mayor and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, are taking part in a six-month weight-loss challenge they’ve dubbed “Cut the Waist.”
But so far, the Mayor has had trouble trimming his waistline. He started the contest at 330 lbs. in January. He shed 10 pounds the first week, after which his weight yo-yoed.
The Mayor last weighed in on May 8 at 314 lbs., up 4 lbs. He hasn’t set foot on the industrial scale outside his office since.
The Mayor’s weight-loss struggles have turned what was supposed to be a feel-good contest into a disappointing ritual that’s often broadcast live on television. On several occasions, the weigh-ins have been cancelled at the last-minute with no explanation.
Doug Ford, meanwhile, has lost 28 lbs., and is vowing to meet his goal of losing 50 lbs. by the end of the challenge in June. He started at 275 lbs.
“At the end of the day we are not going to escape June 18. June the 18 is coming and Doug is going to be 50 pounds lighter. I don’t know about brother Ford,” he told reporters last week.
With a report from Elizabeth ChurchReport Typo/Error