Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant talks to media outside the Toronto Police Traffic Services on Tuesday, September 1, 2009. Bryant has been charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death after a cyclist was killed. (Darren Calabrese/CP)
Former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant talks to media outside the Toronto Police Traffic Services on Tuesday, September 1, 2009. Bryant has been charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death after a cyclist was killed. (Darren Calabrese/CP)

Key dates

Michael Bryant chronology Add to ...

May 23, 2009: Michael Bryant resigns as Ontario's Minister of Economic Development and as a Toronto Liberal MPP, a move blamed both on his leadership ambitions and a notorious speech he gave espousing "reverse Reaganomics". He will take on the role of president and CEO of Invest Toronto, Mayor David Miller's new economic development corporation.

Aug. 31: A night-time collision between a convertible driven by Mr. Bryant and a bicycle on Bloor Street West in Toronto kills 33-year-old bike courier Darcy Allan Sheppard.

Sept. 1: Mr. Bryant is charged with criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving causing death. Mr. Bryant, who is released with conditions until an October court date, extends condolences to Mr. Sheppard's family in a brief statement he reads outside a police station. "To all those who have offered support to my family over the past 12 hours, thank you," Mr. Bryant says. "And I would ask that the media continue to respect my family's need for distance and privacy for the next few days."

Sept. 2: Mr. Bryant resigns from his job at Invest Toronto while proclaiming his innocence. "Let me be clear: I am innocent of the very serious accusations made against me," he writes in a letter to Mr. Miller. "It would, however, be unfair to you, the board and above all to the residents of Toronto to allow this event to distract from the vital efforts of Invest Toronto." Meanwhile, it emerges that Mr. Sheppard had been drinking and was involved in a confrontation with police earlier that evening. In addition, the Ministry of the Attorney General hires Vancouver attorney Richard Peck to handle the case against Mr. Bryant.

Sept. 3: Mr. Bryant announces he has hired Toronto lawyer Marie Henein to lead his defence.

Sept. 4: Allan Sheppard Sr., Mr. Sheppard's father, releases a statement saying his family is "deeply saddened by the loss of their loved one, and believe that no person deserves to die in the circumstances that occurred." He also says: "This matter is before the courts now and we are relying on the justice system to sort out what occurred on the fatal night."

Sept. 7: Navigator Limited, a public relations firm hired by Mr. Bryant, turns to social media and blogs to get their message across. "The police have dismissed the allegation that Mr. Bryant fled the scene of the accident," says a blog entry. "Mr. Bryant and his wife pulled off the road and immediately called 911. Police have also dismissed any suggestion that Mr. Bryant was intoxicated."

Sept. 15: Mr. Miller temporarily takes charge of Invest Toronto as a recruitment firm begins searching for a new leader.

Sept. 25: The Toronto Bike Messenger Association schedules a news conference to counter negative media portrayals of Mr. Sheppard.

Oct. 19: Mr. Bryant does not attend a routine court appearance relating to his case. "We're anxious to move this matter forward and proceed to trial as soon as reasonably possible," Ms. Henein says outside court.

Nov. 16: Mr. Bryant's case is held over for a month.

Dec. 5: Mr. Bryant is working at top Toronto law firm Ogilvy Renault, a senior partner says.

Dec. 7: The case against Mr. Bryant is put over until January.

Dec. 21: Former telecom executive Renato Discenza is selected to run Invest Toronto.

Jan. 22, 2010: Pre-trial case-management discussions between the prosecution and defence are put over until March.

March 5: The case against Mr. Bryant is put over until April. A Crown attorney tells the court that "disclosure is now in essence complete."

April 14: The case is held over until May.

May 25: The Crown withdraws the charges against Mr. Bryant, saying there is no reasonable prospect for a conviction.

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeToronto

 

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular