Pickering children were unhurt after coming into contact with mercury-coated slides at a local park – but how the poison got there is a mystery.
The kids were playing at Kinsmen Park, on Sandy Beach Road in south Pickering near Lake Ontario, Monday afternoon when a parent noticed the substance on a slide and discovered an empty small plastic vial lying nearby, police said.
Durham Regional Police sealed off the park and brought in a forensic identification unit, which took samples of the substance and discovered what it was. A hazardous material cleaning company washed off the playground equipment. The park remained closed Tuesday.
Health officials said the amount of mercury was low and it does not pose an immediate health risk. In higher quantities, however, it is extremely toxic.
Police are continuing to investigate in hopes of learning who brought the poison to the park.Report Typo/Error