Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Toronto Police Superintendent Ron Taverner of 23 Division says last Friday’s shootings, which wounded four people, were definitely gang-related. (Peter Power/The Globe and Mail)
Toronto Police Superintendent Ron Taverner of 23 Division says last Friday’s shootings, which wounded four people, were definitely gang-related. (Peter Power/The Globe and Mail)

Police say multiple shootings last week were gang-related Add to ...

Police investigating shootings on Friday at three locations in Toronto, including a hospital parking area, have released some details about suspects and confirmed that they believe the incidents to be gang-related.

“There’s no question there were gangs involved in this – but we certainly aren’t releasing what gangs,” Toronto Police Superintendent Ron Taverner said on Monday.

More Related to this Story

At approximately 6:39 p.m. on May 30, police responded to gunfire at a housing complex near Mount Olive Drive and Kipling Avenue, where three were wounded. About 15 to 20 minutes afterward, shots were fired just outside Etobicoke General Hospital, where one person was injured.

Shortly thereafter, shots were fired from a vehicle at a residence near Martin Grove Road and Albion Road.

Although some media reported Friday that the shootings were a “running gun battle,” Supt. Taverner said Monday that police now believe that was likely not the case.

“There’s still a possibility that it was a running gun battle, but it appears more likely that it was up to four suspects with two guns that went into the common area and were firing.”

“It’s outrageous that people would go into a housing complex with young children around at 6:40 on a Friday night and fire off up to 20 rounds, then go up to a hospital and do the same thing. Some of the shots struck a victim. Other rounds went into the emergency area,” he said.

Supt. Taverner said in an interview that police are seeking up to four black male suspects in their early to mid-twenties. The suspects are believed to have been driving a black Honda Civic and a silver Honda Civic.

Four people suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the Friday shootings, according to police. Two were rushed to Sunnybrook Hospital, whose emergency department was placed under lockdown Friday until 11 p.m. as a precaution.

Police were able to obtain security footage at the housing complex at Mount Olive Drive, but the quality was “not very helpful,” Supt. Taverner said. Police are now asking for public assistance with the investigation.

Supt. Taverner said the investigation has no connection to the Project RX and Project Battery investigations of rival gangs Asian Assassins and Sick Thugz. Those investigations led to the arrests of more than 50 suspects across the GTA last week.

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular