Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo. (JOHN LEHMANN/The GLOBE AND MAI)
Police tape marks a crime scene in this file photo. (JOHN LEHMANN/The GLOBE AND MAI)

Three dead, two hospitalized from suspected carbon-monoxide in Toronto-area home Add to ...

Three family members are dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after police say a portable propane heater was used inside a home just west of Toronto.

Peel Regional Police Const. Fiona Thivierge confirms a 60-year-old man, his 59-year-old wife and their 36-year-old son died in hospital after the overnight incident in Brampton, Ont.

Two other men who were also in the home were taken to hospital but are expected to recover.

Thivierge says the couple’s 29-year-old son arrived home just before 2 a.m. to find the carbon monoxide detector going off and everyone inside the home unconscious.

She says the home’s furnace had broken down the previous day and at least one outside heater had been brought inside to warm the home.

The identities of the victims are not being released.

Thivierge says the coroner is investigating and police are assisting but the case is not considered a criminal one.

Police are advising people not to bring propane heaters into their homes.

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeToronto

 

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories