Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Toronto councillor Ana Bailao spoke with the media at City Hall in Toronto on October 17, 2012, announcing she will be pleading not guilty to impaired driving charges. (Deborah Baic/The Globe and Mail)

Toronto councillor Ana Bailao spoke with the media at City Hall in Toronto on October 17, 2012, announcing she will be pleading not guilty to impaired driving charges.

(Deborah Baic/The Globe and Mail)

Toronto councillor Bailão’s impaired driving case held over Add to ...

The case of a Toronto city councillor charged with drunken driving has been put over for two weeks.

Ana Bailão was represented by lawyer Peter Thorning and did not appear for the brief hearing Monday morning at 0ld City Hall.

Ms. Bailão, 36, was stopped by police in the early hours of Oct. 16 near Bathurst and Harbord streets after attending the Mayor’s Ball for the Arts earlier in the evening.

More Related to this Story

She has been charged with impaired driving and operating a vehicle with more than the legal allowable amount of alcohol in her bloodstream, and has said she plans to plead not guilty.

“I can confirm that on October 16, I was charged with impaired driving,” she said in a statement the day after she was arrested.

“This situation is regrettable. I have been advised by my legal counsel that because this matter is before the courts that I have no further comment.”

Ms. Bailão, the councillor for Ward 18 Davenport, is a first-term centrist who has been praised for her work as the chair of the affordable housing committee.

Her next court date is set for Dec. 17.

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular