Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Then newly elected Toronto Mayor Rob Ford speaks on air at Talk Radio AM 640 with host John Oakley in Toronto on Wednesday, October 27, 2010. Ford will return to the air for his weekly radio show on Newstalk 1010 Sunday and is due to address the latest explosive accusations against him. (Nathan Denette/THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Then newly elected Toronto Mayor Rob Ford speaks on air at Talk Radio AM 640 with host John Oakley in Toronto on Wednesday, October 27, 2010. Ford will return to the air for his weekly radio show on Newstalk 1010 Sunday and is due to address the latest explosive accusations against him. (Nathan Denette/THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford expected to discuss video scandal on radio show Add to ...

Toronto’s mayor is expected to have more to say today about word that police believe they have the alleged crack video that has propelled him into the international spotlight.

Rob Ford is expected to talk about the issue at 1 p.m. on his weekly radio show that he hosts along with his brother, Coun. Doug Ford on Newstalk 1010.

More Related to this Story

Ford met privately Saturday with Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly who relayed concerns from city councillors about the fallout from the police revelations.

Neither man is talking about the meeting but several media outlets are reporting Kelly told them Ford would make an “announcement” today, but didn’t elaborate.

In brief comments to reporters at city hall before Saturday’s meeting Ford repeated he’s not going to resign.

Police announced on Thursday they had recovered a video that appears to be the alleged video that two media outlets reported in May appears to show Ford smoking crack.

Police allege a friend of the mayor, Alessandro Lisi, tried to get his hands on the video.

Lisi has been charged with extortion and was granted bail on Friday.

Toronto police Chief Bill Blair announced Thursday that police had found video images “which appear to be those images which were previously reported in the press.”

Ford said Thursday he could not comment because the matter is before the courts but said he sees “no reason to resign.”

After reports of the alleged video first surfaced in the Toronto Star and the U.S. website Gawker in May, the mayor said he does not use crack cocaine and that the video does not exist.

The story has been an international sensation since it came to light in May, grabbing headlines around the world.

 

Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeToronto

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories