A 17-year-old Toronto youth wounded in the July 16 mass shooting on Scarborough’s Danzig Street has been shot a second time, and two other teenagers – one 16, the other 18 – face multiple gun-related charges, including attempted murder.
The 17-year-old male faces drug charges, laid after police came to his home to investigate the Sunday afternoon shooting, which took place on Chester Le Boulevard, near Victoria Park Avenue.
There is a a second connection to the Danzig Street multiple shooting, which saw two young people fatally shot and 23 others wounded at an outdoor barbecue party. The 16-year-old arrested after Sunday’s incident is a relative of one of the two people charged with gun-related offences arising from the Danzig shootings, a police source said.
No murder charges have been laid in the Danzig Street gun fight, the worst public shooting Toronto has ever seen. Police say the investigation remains open and are optimistic it will bear fruit.
Sunday’s shooting occurred as the 17-year-old was riding his bike on Chester Le Boulevard when he was accosted by another youth, who shot him in the leg. The handgun then malfunctioned, police said, allowing the victim to escape.
When detectives with a search warrant visited the victim’s home the next day, they charged him with possession of cocaine, possession of proceeds of crime and failing to comply with a court undertaking.
On Tuesday, the 16-year-old who allegedly shot the 17-year-old was charged with nine gun-related offences and several other charges, including cocaine possession.
Neither he nor his alleged victim can be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Eighteen-year-old Avian Gooden of Toronto was arrested the same day, and he too faces multiple gun charges, including possession of a loaded 9-mm handgun.
The trio appeared briefly in court Tuesday and Wednesday.
Neither of the other two teenagers charged in connection with the July mass shooting is alleged to have killed or wounded anyone.
Nine days after it took place, 18-year-old Shaquan Mesquito was arrested and accused of threatening to harm people during the runup to the big block party where the violence erupted.
He also faces nine weapons charges, including possession of a loaded .22-calibre revolver, and he was denied bail last month.
As well, Nahom Tsegazab, 19, who was shot in the arm on the night of the party, is charged with reckless discharge of a firearm.
In the aftermath of the deaths of 14-year-old Shyanne Charles and Joshua Yasay, 23, at the Danzig barbecue, police were hampered by a lack of tips, even though so many people were either witnesses or victims.
Since then, however, police say the investigation has picked up pace.
“It’s moving along nicely, it’s going in a very productive direction,” Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said.