Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

Woman held during G20 protest to launch class-action lawsuit Add to ...

Two prominent Toronto law firms are heading up a class-action lawsuit in connection with the G20 summit.

Murray Klippenstein, who is heading up the case along with lawyer Eric Gillespie, wouldn't say who is being named as defendants in the suit. But a statement released Thursday afternoon said there are more than 800 individuals covered, all of whom "were allegedly wrongfully arrested during the G20 summit at various locations, and never charged with any wrongdoing."

The representative plaintiff, they said, is a woman who was part of the crowd of protesters, reporters and passersby kettled by police for hours in the rain at the corner of Queen Street and Spadina Avenue on the Sunday evening of the summit weekend.

She will be announcing the class-action suit at Queen's Park Friday morning.

More than 1,000 people were arrested during the G20 summit weekend, during which police and protesters clashed throughout Toronto's downtown core.

But of about 1,100 arrested, only 263 were charged with anything other than breach of peace - and more than 100 were never processed.

Ontario's Office of the Independent Police Review Director, an arm's-length police watchdog established last fall by the provincial government, has launched a formal inquiry into police conduct during the G20.

Director Gerry McNeilly said last month he has received hundreds of individual, startlingly similar complaints about police conduct.

In the know

Most popular videos »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most popular