Read more about the extraordinary schools that give India's Dalit girls a chance at a better life by clicking here.
On the Web
- Prerna Residential School For Mahadalit Girls – The official website of Nari Gunjan, the charity founded by Sudha Varghese, that operates the school. Learn more about the Musahar girls and the work of Nari Gunjan. For information on how to make a donation, send an e-mail to email@example.com.
- Hidden Apartheid: Caste Discrimination Against India’s "Untouchables" – a 2007 report by the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice.
- Broken People: Caste Violence Against India’s “Untouchables” – a 2008 report by Human Rights Watch.
- The Death of Merit – a documentary on the higher incidence of suicide among Dalit students.
- First Post India – a collection of news stories relating to caste issues.
- National Campaign on Dalit Human Rights
- The Dalit Freedom Network is a Canada-based organization that partners with Indian Dalit-rights groups. They have a particular focus on work to end the trafficking of Dalit people and child labour.
- Dalit Solidary works for Dalit health care, education and economic empowerment through a variety of organizations.
- Untouchability in Rural India – published 2006, by Ghanshyam Shah, Harsh Mander, Sukhadeo Thorat, Satish Deshpande and Amita Baviskar.
- Bhimayana: Experiences of Untouchability – an extraordinary graphic novel illustrated by Dalit artists telling the life story of Bhimrao Ambedkar. Story by Srividya Natarajan and S. Anand, art by Durgabai Vyam and Subhash Vyam.
- Poisoned Bread: Translations from Modern Marathi Dalit Literature – Published in 1992, edited by Arjun Dangle.