A British jury on Thursday cleared veteran radio and television DJ Dave Lee Travis of 12 counts of indecent assault.
Jurors at London’s Southwark Crown Court failed to reach a verdict on two more charges.
Travis had been accused of assaulting young women – at concerts, in radio studios and elsewhere – over a period of three decades.
The 68-year-old had denied 13 counts of indecent assault and one of sexual assault.
Outside court after the verdicts, Travis said he had been through “a year and a half of hell.”
“I had two trials,” he said. “I had one trial by media and one trial by crown court. And I have to say in all honesty that I prefer trial by the crown court.”
Travis, a long-time radio DJ and host of the TV music show Top of the Pops, was one of several veteran British show-business figures arrested after revelations that the late BBC entertainer Jimmy Savile was a serial sexual predator who abused scores of young people.
Last week, 81-year-old Coronation Street star William Roache was acquitted of multiple counts of sexual assault in a separate trial.
Travis, whose real name is David Griffin, told jurors during his trial that he was not a sexual predator, as prosecutors claimed. “I do not have a predatory nature with women. I have a cuddly nature,” he said. “Maybe that’s what this is all about, but I am not predatory.”
A court hearing will be held Feb. 24 to decide whether Travis will face retrial on the two outstanding charges.