A jury retired on Wednesday to consider whether two ex-Rupert Murdoch editors, one the media mogul’s protégé and the other a former close aide to the British Prime Minister, were guilty over phone-hacking offences and illegal payments to officials.
Seven months of testimony have yielded graphic details about the “dark arts” of British tabloid journalism and its role in the unfolding of a scandal that has gripped not only Mr. Murdoch’s empire but the entire British political class.
The jury of eight women and three men at London’s Old Bailey court will have to decide whether Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson were complicit in illegal activities with their staff.
Ms. Brooks and Mr. Coulson are both ex-editors of the News of the World Sunday tabloid, a 168-year-old paper that Mr. Murdoch shut down three years ago when it was acknowledged staff working for it had hacked into voice mails, including those on the mobile phone of a murdered schoolgirl, Milly Dowler.
The trial has revealed hacking victims included Queen Elizabeth’s grandsons William and Harry, and William’s wife Kate.
Ms. Brooks, who later also edited sister paper The Sun – Britain’s top-selling daily – went on to become chief executive of News International, the British newspaper arm of Murdoch’s News Corp..
Meanwhile, Mr. Coulson became media chief for David Cameron and stayed with him when he became Prime Minister in 2010. He quit the following year as the hacking scandal unfolded.
Since last October, the jury has been given an eye-opening taste of life inside the world of cut-throat tabloids, hearing about cases of bullying, lying, the payment of huge sums for salacious stories, and how one journalist even threatened a colleague with a replica gun.
There have also been appearances by figures including a former Archbishop of Canterbury, a senior royal aide and film stars Sienna Miller and Jude Law, who learned while giving evidence that a close family member had been paid for stories.
Public interest in the case was stoked by the revelation that Mr. Coulson and Ms. Brooks, whose papers had regularly exposed the affairs of the rich and famous, had themselves been involved in an on-off affair running over a nine-year period.
“You are under no pressure of time and you must take all the time that you need to reach your verdicts,” judge John Saunders told the jury. He had previously urged them not to be “dazzled” by the high-profile defendants and to ignore the vitriol directed at Ms. Brooks and Mr. Coulson in the past.
Ms. Brooks, Mr. Coulson and the paper’s ex-managing editor, Stuart Kuttner, are accused of conspiring to hack voice mails on mobile phones.
Mr. Coulson is also accused, along with the News of the World’s ex-royal editor Clive Goodman, of sanctioning illegal payments to police officers for internal royal phone directories. Ms. Brooks faces charges she authorized £40,000 ($73,000) in cash payments to a Ministry of Defence employee when she edited the Sun.
The trial was told that in the two years before police arrested Mr. Goodman, when Mr. Coulson was editor, there were more than 6,800 hacking calls made by News of the World journalists or a private investigator involving more than 280 victims.
Also on trial are Ms. Brooks’s husband Charlie, her former personal assistant, and the head of security at News International, all accused of helping Ms. Brooks hide evidence from police. They all deny the charges, but if convicted, Ms. Brooks and Mr. Coulson are likely to face jail terms.
Dan Evans, an ex-reporter who has pleaded guilty to hacking under Mr. Coulson’s editorship, said the practice was so rampant that even the office cat knew about it.
“We didn’t have an office cat,” Mr. Coulson quipped when he rejected this accusation from the witness box.
Follow us on Twitter: