Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

A frame grab from a video that was posted on You Tube by an individual who identified himself as Elliot Rodger is shown in this May 24, 2014 photo. The family lawyer says that 22 year-old Elliot Rodger, son of the director Peter Rodger, has been tentatively identified as the suspect in a shooting rampage that killed 6 people in the college community of Isla Vista, California near the UC Santa Barbara campus on May 23, 2014. The video was removed from YouTube on Saturday, hours after a shooting with the advisory "The video has been removed because its content violated YouTube's Terms of Service." (HANDOUT/REUTERS)
A frame grab from a video that was posted on You Tube by an individual who identified himself as Elliot Rodger is shown in this May 24, 2014 photo. The family lawyer says that 22 year-old Elliot Rodger, son of the director Peter Rodger, has been tentatively identified as the suspect in a shooting rampage that killed 6 people in the college community of Isla Vista, California near the UC Santa Barbara campus on May 23, 2014. The video was removed from YouTube on Saturday, hours after a shooting with the advisory "The video has been removed because its content violated YouTube's Terms of Service." (HANDOUT/REUTERS)

California shooter may have sounded warning in video message Add to ...

The gunman suspected of killing six people in drive-by shootings near a California college campus on Friday night may have posted a video online lamenting his loneliness and warning he was about to go on a rampage out of sexual frustration.

A family lawyer said he was almost certainly Elliot Rodger, son of a Hollywood director. Asked by reporters if the gunman was Rodger, lawyer Alan Shifman told reporters: “I cannot confirm that but we believe it.” He added that “the police would not give us 100 per cent (certainty).”

Reuters May. 24 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

Video: At least seven killed in California drive-by shooting

More Related to this Story

The county sheriff's office confirmed Rodger's identity Saturday night.

The gunman also died in the rampage in Isla Vista near the campus of the University of California at Santa Barbara. It was not yet known if he was killed in an exchange of gunfire with deputies, or died from a self-inflicted wound, officials said.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown, speaking earlier on Saturday, said authorities were investigating a possible connection between the gunman and an online video that was uploaded to YouTube on Friday night.

In the video, a young man who identifies himself as Elliot Rodger, pours out his hatred of women who have rejected him and “popular kids,” and says he is about to kill people out of loneliness and sexual frustration.

YouTube has since removed the video, posting in its place a notice saying the video violated its terms of service. A spokeswoman for Google Inc, which owns YouTube, was not available for comment.

The nearly seven-minute-long video shows a young man sitting at the wheel of a stationary car. He complains he is still a virgin at age 22 and that he is angry at women for refusing to have sex with him or even kiss him and at men for appearing to be happier and more successful than him.

“Well, this is my last video. It all has to come to this,” the man says in the video.

“You girls have never been attracted to me. I don’t know why you girls aren’t attracted to me. But I will punish you all for it. It’s an injustice, a crime,” he says, his speech punctuated by bursts of laughter.

He says he plans to head to a sorority house, which houses female students, to kill people there. “I’ll take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you,” he said. He expresses surprise at his rejection as he considers himself a “supreme gentleman.”

When asked about the video entitled Elliot Rodger’s Retribution, Brown told a news conference that “it would appear that is connected with this crime.”

Rodger’s YouTube channel contains several other videos of Rodger lamenting the loneliness he says he has felt ever since entering puberty, his tone veering from anger to despair. Most of them were uploaded in the past week.

One video is called: “Being lonely on Spring Break sucks.” Another: “Why do girls hate me?”

About three weeks ago, he wrote on his YouTube channel that he had temporarily taken some of his videos down “due to the alarm it caused with some people in my family.”

His Facebook page is filled with dozens of pictures of Rodger posing by himself. There are also photographs of him attending a premiere of the movie Hunger Games, with a man who appears to be Peter Rodger. The older Rodger was an assistant director of the film, which depicts teenagers killing each other.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories