The department of foreign affairs says Canada has suspended all meetings in Afghan ministries following the killing of two U.S. military advisers.
Foreign Affairs spokesman Yohan Rodericks says the move was taken as a precaution in light of recent security concerns.
He says all Canadian staff are safe and accounted for.
It isn't known how long the meetings will be on hold, but Mr. Rodericks says officials are keeping a close eye on the situation.
NATO and the British government recalled their international advisers from Afghan ministries in the capital late Saturday after the two American advisers — a lieutenant colonel and a major — were found dead in their office.
The pair, whose names have not been released, were shot in the back of the head.
Earlier on Sunday, seven U.S. military trainers were wounded on Sunday when a grenade was thrown at their base in northern Afghanistan, police said, as anti-Western fury deepened over the burning of the Koran at a NATO base. Two Afghans were killed.
The seven were wounded and one of the protesters was killed when troops fired out from the U.S. base, said Amanuddin Quriashi, district administrator. Another demonstrator was killed by Afghan police, he added. Provincial police spokesman Sarwar Hussaini confirmed the casualties.
A NATO spokesman said that an explosion occurred outside the base, but that the grenades did not breach its defences.
“Initial reports indicate that there were no ISAF service member fatalities,” said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brian Badura, referring to NATO's International Security Assistance Force. He declined to comment on whether there were any wounded.
Despite an apology from U.S. President Barack Obama, riots raged across the country for a sixth day on Sunday against the desecration of the Muslim holy book at a NATO air base at Bagram. Some protesters hoisted the white Taliban flag.
The Afghan Interior Ministry identified one of its employees as a suspect in the fatal shooting of two U.S. officers in its headquarters a day earlier, an attack that prompted NATO to recall its staff from ministries.
One civilian was killed, 15 more were wounded and three policemen injured in riots near the NATO base in northern Kunduz province, where the blast that wounded the Americans took place, regional police chief Samihullah Qatra told reporters.
NATO confirmed there had been an explosion outside one of its bases in northern Afghanistan, but declined to comment on casualties.
The protests have killed 30 people and wounded 200, including two other U.S. troops who were shot dead by an Afghan soldier who joined rallies in the country’s east.
The Koran burnings could make it far harder for NATO forces to win the trust of the Afghan public as they try to stabilise the country ahead of the withdrawal of foreign combat troops at the end of 2014.
Afghan security sources identified Abdul Saboor, a 25-year-old police intelligence officer, as a suspect in the shooting of the Americans at close range inside the Interior Ministry.
In a statement to media, the ministry said: “An employee has been identified as a suspect and he has now fled. The Interior Ministry is trying to arrest the suspected individual.”
NATO is supposed to be moving away from a combat role to an advise-and-assist mission as early as next year. That will require NATO to place more staff in Kabul’s ministries.
CCTV footage showed that Mr. Saboor had access to the Command and Control Centre, tucked deep inside the ministry, where the slain Americans were found, security officials told Reuters on condition of anonymity.
The Taliban took responsibility for the attack, saying it was in retaliation for the burning of the Korans.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai repeated his plea for calm and restraint. “It is time to regain and preserve our calm, and not allow our enemies to misuse it,” he told reporters, referring to the nationwide violence.
With reports from The Associated Press and The Canadian Press