Chen Guangcheng, the blind lawyer at the centre of a diplomatic tug-of-war between China and the United States, has told The Globe and Mail in an interview that he is now more comfortable with the deal he made with the Chinese government this week and is no longer in need of political asylum in the United States, backtracking on some inflammatory statements he made just 24 hours before.
As recently as Thursday morning, Mr. Chen – who had sought protection in the U.S. embassy but left the premises earlier this week – said he and his family had been threatened and were no longer safe in China. He called for U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who is in Beijing for long-planned talks with Chinese leaders, to help him escape with his wife and two children to asylum in the United States.
But in an interview with The Globe and Mail early Friday morning, Beijing time, Mr. Chen said his worries had eased following a meeting with officials from China’s central government who came to the hospital where he is being treated, as well as phone conversations with American diplomats. He said he still hoped to leave China in order to rest and receive medical treatment, but no longer wanted formal asylum. If he does leave, he said he would do so with the intention of returning to China.
“I want to rest for some time and recover my health,” he said, speaking via a mobile phone that can receive calls but that does not work, he says, when he tries to dial out. “Coming in and out [of China]is a very natural thing. Unless they can’t guarantee my rights as a citizen.”
Most significantly, he said there were signs that the Chinese side intended to honour the agreement under which he agreed to leave the refuge of the U.S. embassy on Wednesday. That deal, which the U.S. side promised to monitor, was to allow Mr. Chen to live freely with his family and pursue studies in another part of China while an investigation was conducted into those who held him and his wife and daughter incommunicado for the past 20 months inside their home in Shandong. That ordeal was seen as extralegal punishment for Mr. Chen’s political activism.
“[The official who visited said]they were authorized by the central government to talk to me about my situation. I told them what happened to me in Shandong. The official said to me, ‘If the law was violated, we will investigate and punish [the offenders]’ This is what we talked about. As regards to what really will happen, we need to wait and see what they do,” he said.
“This is a good start,” he added. “It’s based on the agreement between China and America. This is why I said this agreement done by Ms. Hillary is unprecedented. Do you understand? If they really obey Chinese law and regulations and start a thorough investigation on this issue, I think this is a very positive thing.”
An investigation into his treatment in Shandong was a key demand made by Mr. Chen in a YouTube video that he posted last week, one in which he addressed Premier Wen Jiabao by name and asked for his personal intervention in the case.
The new, more conciliatory, tone is the latest position from Mr. Chen, who has at times seemed bewildered by events. It’s one that may be calibrated to allow all sides to save face, since going to the United States to receive medical care is less offensive in the eyes of the Communist Party leadership than claiming asylum from political persecution.
The 40-year-old self-taught lawyer said he was alone Thursday night in his hospital room with his wife and two children. It was a rare reunion for the family, which had been forcibly split up by police – Mr. Chen’s son was taken away and forced to live with relatives in another part of China – as part of the campaign against Mr. Chen. Mr. Chen initially drew the wrath of local authorities in Shandong for exposing endemic human-rights violations there, including forced abortions and the sterilization of women who had violated the country’s one-child policy.
Mr. Chen said his wife, Yuan Weijing, had been beaten by their captors in Shandong and also needed medical treatment.
Mr. Chen said he still had worries about his security, particularly if he returned to Shandong, where he said his former captors had taken over his house and installed seven video cameras inside. He said he was worried for the safety of his 80-year-old mother, who was still in his hometown of Dongshigu.