Go to the Globe and Mail homepage

Jump to main navigationJump to main content

A defendant reacts as he and other defendants are led behind bars to hear the ruling on their case for sexual harassment at a court in Cairo on July 16, 2014. (AL YOUM AL SAABI/REUTERS)
A defendant reacts as he and other defendants are led behind bars to hear the ruling on their case for sexual harassment at a court in Cairo on July 16, 2014. (AL YOUM AL SAABI/REUTERS)

Egypt sentences seven to life for Tahrir Square sex assaults Add to ...

An Egyptian court sentenced seven men to life in prison on Wednesday for sexual assaults on women during public rallies in Cairo’s iconic Tahrir Square, in the first such heavy sentences since the government vowed to crack down on rampant sexual violence.

Sexual harassment has long been a problem in Egypt, but assaults have become more frequent and brutal since the 2011 overthrow of long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak, with frenzied mobs targeting women who take part in political gatherings.

More Related to this Story

The charges stemmed from four different incidents of sexual assault this year and last year, including during celebrations of the inauguration of President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi in June.

Videos of the brutal attacks posted online caused a public outcry and pushed the new leader to make the highest profile condemnation of the escalating phenomenon and order a crackdown on perpetrators. A week later, 13 suspects were sent to trial in a speedy referral aimed at sending a message of deterrence.

“This is the first verdict in a case of sexual assault in the history of this country,” said Mozn Hassan, director of Nazra for Feminist Studies, which provides legal representation for victims. “This could open the door for ending impunity in such cases.”

The sentencing session was aired live on TV, indicating the government hoped it would serve as a deterrent.

Judge Mohammed el-Fiqqi sentenced the seven men to life in prison, with four of them receiving multiple life sentences. An eighth defendant received two 20-year jail sentences and a ninth received a single 20-year sentence.

Ms. Hassan said she hoped the verdicts were not the last and that authorities would investigate the 500 cases of sexual violence in Tahrir Square since 2011 that her centre has documented. Sexual violence is often unreported, particularly in conservative countries like Egypt, because women are ashamed to come forward.

Scenes of women being attacked by frenzied mobs have sullied political rallies in the square made famous by the revolt that toppled Mr. Mubarak. Activists have organized volunteer groups to protect women, and many of the volunteers have also come under attack.

The various charges against the defendants ranged from attempted rape, kidnapping and assault to torture and attempted murder in the four incidents. The maximum possible sentence was life in prison.

Ms. Hassan said three of the assaults occurred in different parts of Tahrir Square on June 8, the day of Mr. el-Sissi’s inauguration. The fourth dates back to a rally in Tahrir in January, 2013.

In each of the June 8 attacks, women said the mob encircled them, used sharp objects to tear their clothes off – in some cases leading to vaginal and breast wounds – and beat them with belts. Some of the victims had belt marks on their faces, bruises and dislocated shoulders.

Ms. Hassan said another 10 cases from that day have not yet been sent to trial, including one in which a woman required 13 stitches in her vagina. Two other women suffered from severe burns after their attackers pushed them into vats of boiling water set up on tea-maker stalls.

She said the cases have not yet been moved to court because the severity of the injuries delayed further investigation.

For the case ruled upon Wednesday, the women were asked before the referral to trial to identify the attackers from a police lineup. Some of the women passed out while others went into fits of hysteria upon seeing the suspects. One woman suffered temporary paralysis.

The sentences can be appealed.

Ms. Hassan said the harsh sentences are not enough, though, to combat the widespread phenomenon. She wants the legal definition of rape expanded to include penetration with any body part or object without consent. The current law doesn’t define rape and refers to “indecent violation,” a vague term with a moral connotation in Arabic.

“We have been campaigning not for toughening the sentences, but for changing the philosophy and definition,” Ms. Hassan said. “It is about shaming. You should shame for the right thing.”

Her group has also asked a government fact-finding commission to investigate allegations by activists and other rights groups that sexual violence is deliberately used to clear protesters from public squares.

Such allegations have surfaced throughout Egypt’s troubled transition, regardless of who was in power. Police reluctance to enter the square during political rallies has fed the suspicions.

Follow us on Twitter: @globeandmail

 

Topics:

In the know

Most popular video »

Highlights

More from The Globe and Mail

Most Popular Stories